Tuesday, November 21, 2006

What to look for in a laptop

I am currently in the market for a "new" laptop. Since I am on a budget, the price range I am going for is around $200 or less. While searching through Craig's list I have thought about my criteria. My current laptop does not work because it is too noisy and does not have a working battery. I want to be able to use the laptop discretely at conferences and seminars. Here is what I think is necessary:


  • Quiet - I have to be able to wake the thing up, use it, and shut it down without phasing whoever is speaking.
  • Cheap - I have to be able to afford it.
  • CD-drive - I am almost entirely network based, but it would still be nice to have a CD drive in case I need to do something with CDs.
  • USB (preferably 2.0) - This is necessary for thumb drives and a number of peripherals.
  • Normal casing - Specifically, one of the laptops I was looking at ended up being an Apple Clamshell. Those are cool, but definitely dated.
  • Network card - I live on the net. I can remotely log onto beefier computers if I can connect have a connection.
  • VGA port - This is so I can use it for power point presentations when I have to.

No comments: