Monday, February 25, 2008

The Legend

I think the Great Ventilation and Telephone Riots of SrDt 3454 (See Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams) encapsulate most of what annoys me with Mac users. I should preface the rest of this post by saying my next laptop will probably be a Mac, and that some people may consider me a bit of a fanboy myself (even though I have never owned a Mac).

Anyway, the problem with a lot of Mac users is that they do not actually know how their machine works. The beauty of a Mac is that most of the time this knowledge is not necessary. However, either because the Mac hides it or because the user is ignorant, when the knowledge is necessary the user is helpless.

There is something to be said for eventually forcing users to take the training wheels off and actually understand their machines. Also, Apple should remember the legend required to be placed on all devices:
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Fanboys often think their Macs cannot possibly go wrong...

No comments: