Saturday, September 16, 2006

Hobbies

Current events in my life lead me to wonder about the value of a hobby. Today I went to the state fair.

My view of the state fair is that it is a forum for people in the state to demonstrate their hobbies and even compete at some level. Not all hobbies apply. For example, I did not see some of the things I would fine at a Hobby Lobby. I think my understanding is still correct in general.

As I look at my life, I do not have many/any hobbies. I have things I like to do, but nothing I could classify as a hobby. There are many reasons for this and I will not go into them here. For now I wonder about the value of hobbies. Is having a hobby part of living a "good" life? How would my peers, family, religion, friends, etc. answer that question?

A brief search yielded this link for how to encourage ones children to develop worthwhile hobbies.

No comments: